History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Higher Birkett Farmhouse and Buildings Adjoining to the East

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9368 / 53°56'12"N

Longitude: -2.4861 / 2°29'9"W

OS Eastings: 368187

OS Northings: 449070

OS Grid: SD681490

Mapcode National: GBR CQ2X.KJ

Mapcode Global: WH962.S9CV

Entry Name: Higher Birkett Farmhouse and Buildings Adjoining to the East

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183116

Location: Newton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Newton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Newton

Listing Text

SD 64 NE NEWTON

Higher Birkett Farmhouse and
14/65 buildings adjoining to the east

II


House, late C18th, with former house of 1686 adjoinig. Sandstone rubble
with slate roof. The present house is of double-pile plan with central entry
and end stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays. The windows have plain stone surrounds,
the right-hand ground-floor one having 2 square mullions. The door has a
plain stone surround. The former house, to the right, has a continuous drip
course on the ground and first floors. At the left on the ground floor it
rises over a former opening, but is now truncated by the present house. On
the ground floor is a 2-light window with plain stone surround and square
mullion. To the right is a one-light rebated and chamfered window with
segmental head. On the 1st floor are 2 3-light rebated and chamfered
mullioned windows. At the rear is a door and a window, both with plain
stone surrounds. Adjoining to the east is a barn having a wide entrance
with plain reveals, with a door with plain stone surround to its right.
On the 1st floor are 2 pitching doors with plain reveals. At the rear is
a re-set chamfered door surround with triangular head. Inside the old house,
on the 1st floor against the west wall, is a plaster panel on a former
chimney breast with decoration of plant stems with leaves and acorns. In
raised letters are the initials 'RLA' and date '1686'.


Listing NGR: SD6818749070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.