This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8472 / 53°50'50"N
Longitude: -2.9921 / 2°59'31"W
OS Eastings: 334827
OS Northings: 439455
OS Grid: SD348394
Mapcode National: GBR ZYK.R6
Mapcode Global: WH853.0KGH
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184779
Location: Wyre, Lancashire, FY6
Electoral Ward/Division: Tithebarn
Built-Up Area: Poulton-le-Fylde
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Poulton-le-Fylde St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 33 NW POULTON-LE-FYLDE CHURCH STREET
Church of St. Chad
Church, mainly mid-C18. Stone, with slate roof. Substantially Georgian with early
C17 tower, and apsidal chancel of 1868. Castellated west tower of coursed roughly-
dressed stone, with diagonal buttresses at west corners, angled buttresses at east
corners, 4 small corner pinnacles (1923), paired round-headed belfry louvres on all
4 sides, and clock-face with circular moulded surround beneath belfry on north and
south sides. Wide nave of coursed dressed stone, with low-pitched roof, the ridge
meeting the tower at its north-east corner. Large round-headed windows standing on
string course, with plain architraves and Y-tracery, 4 on north side, 3 on south side.
No porch, but 2 doorways on south side, with Tuscan columns, triglyphs and triangular
pediments, that on the right (entry to Fleetwood family vault) has carved corbels
carrying the pediment and is dated 1699; one doorway on north side with plain
rectangular surround; a bullseye window over each door. Apse of 1868 in Romanesque
style with 3 pairs of round-headed windows. Interior: essentially an auditorium,
with 3-sided gallery (1751) on Tuscan columns, approached by fine staircase in north-
west corner. South-west corner contains, as a screen, part of the family pew of the
Rigbys of Layton Hall, the door having raised lettering "AR 1636" and a carved goat's
head. Pulpit incorporates carved panels of probably early C17. Hatchments of Hesketh
and Fleetwood families hang upon walls; and there are important wall monuments and
tablets principally to members of the Hull and Hesketh families. (Porter, History of
the Fylde, 1876, pp. 192-203).
Listing NGR: SD3482739455
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings