History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pleasington, Blackburn with Darwen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7379 / 53°44'16"N

Longitude: -2.5381 / 2°32'17"W

OS Eastings: 364602

OS Northings: 426967

OS Grid: SD646269

Mapcode National: GBR BTQ6.9T

Mapcode Global: WH970.Z9KT

Entry Name: Old Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184722

Location: Pleasington, Blackburn with Darwen, BB2

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Pleasington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Feniscowles Immanuel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

SD 62 NW PLEASINGTON OLD HALL LANE

SD 646 269

1/49 Old Hall Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Pleasington Old Hall)
27-8-1952
- II*

Manor house, dated 1587, altered in C19, now farmhouse. Sandstone
blocks and some old bricks, rendered at rear and right side, stone
slate roof with one chimney on the ridge, another at the left end,
and a large external chimney at the right end. H-plan: 2-storey hallpart
flanked by 2-storey crosswings of unequal length. In left re-entrant
is 2-storey lean-to porch which has a moulded Tudor-arched doorway, the
lintel with panels carved and lettered in relief:-

R T ( ) H (carved) I ( ) S H
1 5 8 7

(the centre panel displays 3 battleaxes, and those flanking it have
horned animal heads between the letters); there is a splayed peephole
in the side wall, a studded inner door, and at 1st floor a 2-light
window lacking the mullion. Right of the porch the wall of the hallpart is
of dressed stone blocks, and has on each floor a recessed window of 6
large lights with chamfered mullions, square king mullion, and a hoodmould
(probably C19), the upper flanked by small round-headed windows. Except
for ground floor left, the wings have recessed stone mullioned windows:
left, 6 lights at 1st floor, with a hoodmould, and 2 lights in the apex;
right, at ground floor a transomed window of 14 lights with hollowed
mullions, and above a 5-light window, (the wall above this is of old
bricks); the re-entrant has a modern door, a blocked old opening at mid
level, and a blocked 4-light window above. Otherwise, all windows are C19
alterations; and rear of right wing has recently been rebuilt. Interior
mostly altered, but right wing has 2 chamfered beams supported by stone corbels,
and a rectangular fireplace with a very large lintel; left wing has 2
cross-corner fireplaces, both modernised.


Listing NGR: SD6460226967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.