History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Darwen, Blackburn with Darwen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7052 / 53°42'18"N

Longitude: -2.4781 / 2°28'41"W

OS Eastings: 368537

OS Northings: 423302

OS Grid: SD685233

Mapcode National: GBR CT4L.9J

Mapcode Global: WH977.X44C

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184677

Location: Blackburn with Darwen, BB3

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Darwen

Built-Up Area: Darwen

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Darwen St Cuthbert with Tockholes

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Darwen

Listing Text

SD 62 SE DARWEN BLACKBURN ROAD

4/6 Church of St. Cuthbert
-
- II

Church, 1878, by Paley and Austin, completed 1907-8. Yellow sandstone
with pink bands, slate roof. West tower, aisled nave, chancel with
north vestry and south chapel: in eclectic Gothic style. Rectangular
3-stage tower with saddle-back roof which has clockfaces in gables and
sides; otherwise, an arched west door (1907 foundation stone to left of
it), large coupled west windows with transoms and traceried heads, triple
belfry openings also with transoms (glazed below, louvred above): polygonal
stair turret in angle with north aisle. High nave (west bay added 1907)
has 6 tall cinquefoil-headed windows, chancel has traceried 2-light
windows at same level; low aisles have square windows with reticulated
tracery: north aisle has gabled porch with statue niche in gable, and side
entrance, south aisle has gabled porch at west end and a cross-gable in
the next bay (1878 porch?): chapel has transomed 4-light window, vestry has
2-span roof and windows with Y-tracery: east window of chancel 5-lights
with reticulated tracery.

Interior: 4-bay nave arcade chamfered in 3 orders, carried by octagonal
columns and responds with moulded caps, except in 1st bay where columns
are multifoil with circular caps; very high chancel arch matches the latter,
and has traceried screen (1908) surmounted by angels bearing lettered
shields; C18 organ in original case surmounted by a crown and 2 mitres;
wooden-framed marble reredos with pictorial panels inlaid with mosaic and
glazed tiles, dated 1912. Kingpost nave roof with windbraces. Chapel
has War Memorial windows in Morris style.


Listing NGR: SD6853723302


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.