History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Darwen, Blackburn with Darwen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7039 / 53°42'13"N

Longitude: -2.4645 / 2°27'52"W

OS Eastings: 369433

OS Northings: 423147

OS Grid: SD694231

Mapcode National: GBR CT7M.70

Mapcode Global: WH978.35PD

Entry Name: Lower Chapel

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072438

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184686

Location: Blackburn with Darwen, BB3

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Darwen

Built-Up Area: Darwen

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Over Darwen St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Darwen

Listing Text

SD 62 SE DARWEN CHAPELS

4/15 Lower Chapel
-
GV II

Congregational chapel, 1719, improved 1753, rebuilt and enlarged
1853 and 1883. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof
with stone gable copings and kneelers. Rectangular 5-bay plan, with
some later additions on north side and at west end. Two storeys,
in domestic vernacular style. Entrance in east gable wall, which
is later C19 and has in the centre a single storey porch with roof
gabled in the centre monopitched at each side, above this three
5-light windows, and incorporates datestones of 1719, 1753, 1853
and 1883. South wall has raised doorway at east end, and five 3-light
mullioned windows on each floor: those below have chamfered surrounds
and chamfered mullions, those above have thin flush mullions (walls
raised 1853). North wall has similar windows, some at ground floor
obscured or replaced by small outbuildings; west gable wall is partly
covered by overlapping extension of 2 lower storeys which has a door
at ground floor and 2 ogival-headed windows above. Interior altered.
History: originally built by Nonconformist congregation which had
disputed ownership of old parochial chapel, and erected by their own
labour. (References: Abram History of Blackburn: Shaw Darwen and its
[People),


Listing NGR: SD6943323147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.