This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6303 / 53°37'49"N
Longitude: -2.6016 / 2°36'5"W
OS Eastings: 360314
OS Northings: 415030
OS Grid: SD603150
Mapcode National: GBR BV8G.KC
Mapcode Global: WH97L.00FS
Entry Name: Hall O' Th' Hill
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357653
Location: Heath Charnock, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Civil Parish: Heath Charnock
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Adlington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 61 NW HEATH CHARNOCK off CHORLEY ROAD
6/136 Hall o' th' Hill
Large house, probably early to mid-C17 (though date 1724 given by
Fleetwood-Hesketh, quoted by Pevsner); altered, now Golf Club.
Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with projecting
eaves and bracketed cornice, 2 chimneys on the ridge. Now symmetrical
rectangular 5-bay plan (formerly L-shaped, but rear wing demolished).
Three storeys, with chamfered plinth, drip courses; distinctive facade
with flanking 5-sided 3-storey bay windows at ends of facade, which are
glazed continuously. Windows are double chamfered with mullions, and
also transoms to ground floor, so that windows of 4 lights (to the outer
bays) and 6 lights (to the centre) correspond to those of 2 and 3 lights
above. Doorway with moulded architrave. Left and right return walls
both have a large mullioned and transomed ground floor window (6 and 8
lights), a stepped 3-light mullioned window with stepped hoodmould at
2nd floor, a hollow chamfered bullseye (with hollow spandrels) above;
at 1st floor the right return wall has a 4-light mullioned window with
a hoodmould, but the left has a sashed window. To the rear at this end
is a shortened staircase wing with mullioned and transomed windows on
3 levels. Interior: altered, but large ¼-round moulded beams
(characteristic of early to mid-C17) are visible on all floors.
Listing NGR: SD6031415030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings