History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brown House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wheelton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6986 / 53°41'55"N

Longitude: -2.597 / 2°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 360682

OS Northings: 422630

OS Grid: SD606226

Mapcode National: GBR BT9N.KW

Mapcode Global: WH976.29MD

Entry Name: Brown House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184460

Location: Wheelton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Wheelton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Heapey St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

WHEELTON BROWN HOUSE LANE
SD 62 SW
Higher Wheelton
6/206 Brown House Farmhouse
17.4.67
- II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1697 on lintel, enlarged in C18; altered.
Coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof with gable copings and kneelers,
brick chimneys. Two-bay end-baffle-entry plan with shallow rear outshut to
1st bay now covered by full-with double-depth addition built at right
angles. Two storeys; high chamfered plinth; doorway at right hand end (in
line with gable chimney) has moulded surround, the moulding on the lintel
stepped over a square recess containing a "4-leaf clover", and hoodmould
run out to left over a recessed 5-light mullioned window lacking 2
mullions; above the hoodmould over the door a recessed decorated datestone
lettered in relief R ; lst bay has a recessed 3-light mullion window
R G
1697
with hoodmould, 1st floor has at right end above door a similar 2-light
window, and 2 other windows, both with a remaining chamfered flush
mullion. Added chimney on centre of ridge. Left gable wall has an altered
window with remains of a hoodmould at ground floor, and 2 and 3-light
windows above, both with hoodmoulds, the former lacking one mullion.
Modern lean-to extension covers junction with rear wing, which has altered
flat mullion windows on both floors on this side (possibly formerly a
loomshop) and on the other side 2 doors and 2 windows at ground floor,
altered flat mullion windows above. Interior: altered, but front part of
1st bay (former parlour) has one stop-chamfered beam.

Listing NGR: SD6068222630

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.