History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity School

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoghton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7282 / 53°43'41"N

Longitude: -2.584 / 2°35'2"W

OS Eastings: 361564

OS Northings: 425912

OS Grid: SD615259

Mapcode National: GBR BTDB.C8

Mapcode Global: WH970.8KR8

Entry Name: Holy Trinity School

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184400

Location: Hoghton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR5

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Hoghton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Hoghton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

HOGHTON PRESTON ROAD
SD 62 NW
2/146 Holy Trinity School
-
GV II

School, now house. 1838 rebuilding of school founded by Sir Charles
Hoghton in 1709; enlarged 1873; altered. Coursed sandstone, slate roof.
Three bays and 2 storeys with large single-storey wing on each side. Tudor
style; 1st floor band, buttresses (diagonal at the corners), recessed
mullioned windows with round-headed lights and hoodmoulds: in each bay one
5-light window at ground floor and two 2-light windows above; at north
gable a gabled 2-storey porch with moulded arched doorway and a carved
stone tablet above showing a bull and a griffon. On east side the single
storey wing has a prominent side-wall chimney stack with offsets and
coupled octagonal flues with moulded caps, a 2-light window to the right of
this, and in the gable wall a very large 5-light mullioned window, a
single-light opening in the apex; in the angle is a lean-to porch to the
main range with a moulded Tudor-arched doorway, a window in the side wall,
one window to the left and 2 above, like those at front. All gables have
stone coping with kneelers and apex finials. (Re-located datestone in
garden wall states that wing was added 1873 by Sir H de H). Included for
group value with Church of the Holy Trinity on opposite side of road.


Listing NGR: SD6156425912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.