This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7281 / 53°43'41"N
Longitude: -2.5851 / 2°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 361495
OS Northings: 425906
OS Grid: SD614259
Mapcode National: GBR BTDB.49
Mapcode Global: WH970.8K89
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072536
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184399
Location: Hoghton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR5
Civil Parish: Hoghton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Hoghton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
HOGHTON PRESTON ROAD
SD 62 NW
2/145 Church of the Holy Trinity
Church. 1881 rebuild of chapel founded 1823. Ashlar, 2-span slate roof.
Nave with south aisle, west tower, chancel, mostly in Early English style.
Moulded plinth, chamfered sill band; 5-bay nave with pilasters, the
sill-band carried round them, and a large chamfered lancet in each bay
except at the east end which has coupled lancets, hoodmoulds with returned
ends run out to the pilasters; south aisle, under parallel roof, matches
the nave but is 6 bays (overlapping one bay of the chancel) and has a
shouldered priest door in the 5th bay, coupled lancets in the east gable
and stepped triple lancets in the west gable; 2-bay chancel has traceried
2-light windows with hoodmoulds, and large 5-light east window; all gables
have a small quatrefoil near the apex, and a carved stone cross. Tower at
west end of nave, 3 stages, with angle-buttresses to the first two stages,
and south-east stair turret, has arched north doorway with moulded
surround, arched 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery in the
head, an arched 2-light window and a circular clock face on the north and
south sides, 3-light louvred belfry openings on all sides, with
Perpendicular tracery in the heads, a dripband and embattled parapet.
Interior: 4-bay aisle arcade of 2-centred arches chamfered in 2 orders,
carried by quatrefoil columns with moulded caps; tower arch and organ house
arch similar; deeply-moulded chancel arch; arch-braced wagon roof; in
chancel 2 wall monuments to de Hoghton family (Charles, d.1895 and Vere,
killed in action in France 1915, this in alabaster aedicule in Renaissance
Listing NGR: SD6149525906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings