History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lord Nelson Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayton-le-Woods, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7041 / 53°42'14"N

Longitude: -2.6365 / 2°38'11"W

OS Eastings: 358078

OS Northings: 423264

OS Grid: SD580232

Mapcode National: GBR BT1L.0X

Mapcode Global: WH975.G5R5

Entry Name: Lord Nelson Inn

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072540

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184301

Location: Clayton-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Clayton-le-Woods

Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Brindle St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

BRINDLE SANDY LANE, Clayton Green
SD 52 SE
5/50 Lord Nelson Inn
17.4.67 II

Public house, formerly farmhouse. Dated 1668 on porch; altered and extended.
Coursed squared sandstone with quoins, slate roof. F-plan modified by later
addition between wing and porch. Two storeys; 2-storey gabled porch at
junction of 2nd and 3rd bays has chamfered segmental-arched doorway, the
lintel lettered in relief "1688", 1st floor window of 2 round-headed lights
with moulded surrounds and remains of a hoodmould, and in right side an
inserted window at ground floor and a little peepwindow at 1st floor; to
right, an altered window on each floor; to left, overlapping the corner of the
porch, the canted side wall of a large gabled addition which projects between
the porch and wing, has quoins, a 3-light flush-mullion window at ground floor
of gable and a sash window above; gable of left wing, set back and overlapped
by the addition, has a similar flush mullion window at ground floor, (a
dripmould over it carried round the corner over a blocked doorway in the
return wall) and at 1st floor a 4-light double chamfered mullion window with a
hoodmould. Other features of less interest; chimneys altered. Interior:
altered and now open-plan, with imitation 1/4-round moulded beams, but wing
retains 2-light double-chamfered mullion window in formerly external
re-entrant wall, and a cross-corner fireplace with large cambered stone
lintel.


Listing NGR: SD5807823264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.