History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School in Churchyard of Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Croston, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6595 / 53°39'34"N

Longitude: -2.7737 / 2°46'25"W

OS Eastings: 348970

OS Northings: 418390

OS Grid: SD489183

Mapcode National: GBR 9V23.9X

Mapcode Global: WH865.C8GW

Entry Name: School in Churchyard of Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072547

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184320

Location: Croston, Chorley, Lancashire, PR26

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Croston

Built-Up Area: Croston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Croston St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Listing Text

CROSTON CHURCH STREET
SD 41 NE
8/68 School in churchyard of Church
of St. Michael (Formerly listed
17.4.67 as School in Churchyard of
GV St Michael and All Angels)
II

School, rebuilt 1827. Squared sandstone, slate roofs. In 3 parts, forming
canted enclosure to south side of churchyard: 3-bay 2-storey main block
built over pathway to bridge with canted single-storey wing on the left,
and lower 2-storey 4-bay continuation to right. In Tudor style.
Symmetrical main block has passage through the centre with 2-centred
archway enclosed by a square hoodmould with carved quatrefoils in the
spandrels, a 3-light mullioned window each side of the arch and similar
windows of 3,2, and 3 lights at 1st floor, steeply pitched roof, massive
external chimney at left gable with clustered flues, and similar smaller
chimney at right gable with coupled flues. Single-storey canted left wing
has mullioned window with hoodmould. Two storey extension to right has 4
square windows with hoodmoulds on each floor, all with altered glazing, and
in centre of 1st floor 2 datestones, one above the other, lettered in
relief:
IAMES
HIET
VICAR
AND:RE
CTOR
1660

and THIS SCHOOL
WAS REBUILT BY
SUBSCRIPTION
A.D. MDCCCXXVII

Rear has archway matching that at front, and wings to the flanking bays,
the 1st canted, a continuous dripcourse, and an arched doorway to each
wing, etc.


Listing NGR: SD4897018390

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.