History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Croston, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6597 / 53°39'34"N

Longitude: -2.7722 / 2°46'20"W

OS Eastings: 349064

OS Northings: 418408

OS Grid: SD490184

Mapcode National: GBR 9V23.MV

Mapcode Global: WH865.D83R

Entry Name: Rectory

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072548

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184324

Location: Croston, Chorley, Lancashire, PR26

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Croston

Built-Up Area: Croston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Croston St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Listing Text

CROSTON GRAPE LANE
SD 41 NE
8/72 Rectory (Formerly listed as
22.10.52 Rectory House and gateway)
GV II

Rectory. Dated 1722 on downspouts, but part earlier; altered. Stuccoed
brick, 3-span stone slate roof. Approximately rectangular plan formed by 3
parallel ranges with gables to front. Three storeys; almost symmetrical
7-bay facade in baroque style with a central bow and Dutch gables to the
outer slopes of the flanking wings; central panelled door has architrave of
Corinthian semi-columns and open pediment containing a shield with bishop's
mitre and lettered FORTITER ET FIDELITER; 12-pane sashed window above has
architrave of Corinthian pilasters with consoled sill and dentilled cornice,
other windows in the bow are curved, segmental-headed and similarly sashed
except at 2nd floor which has 9-pane sash in centre and painted 6-pane
blind windows each side; in the angles with the wings are downspouts with
ornamental rainwater heads retained by brackets lettered 1722. The gable
of the left wing is narrower than the right, both have 2 segmental-headed
12-pane sashes at ground and 1st floor, the left has one similar
square-headed window at 2nd floor and the right has 2 small
segmental-headed 6-pane sashes. A horizontal parapet with moulded coping
carried round the bow and out to the apexes of the gables disguises the
gables of the facade but the line of these is marked by a surface strip.
The return walls and rear have windows matching those at the front, and at
the rear the gable of the west wing is higher than the others, which have
hipped roofs. Ridge chimneys. Interior: 3-bay Corinthian screen to
entrance hall, which has coffered ceiling; in east wing a room with similar
ceiling, and full-height wainscot of fielded panelling.


Listing NGR: SD4906418408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.