History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brindle Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brindle, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7347 / 53°44'5"N

Longitude: -2.6031 / 2°36'11"W

OS Eastings: 360310

OS Northings: 426651

OS Grid: SD603266

Mapcode National: GBR BT87.7Y

Mapcode Global: WH96Z.ZDL7

Entry Name: Brindle Lodge

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184293

Location: Brindle, Chorley, Lancashire, PR5

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Brindle

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Brindle St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

BRINDLE HOGHTON LANE (off)
SD 62 NW
2/42 Brindle Lodge
22.10.52
- II*

House, now Health Authority staff college. Built c.1808 for William Heatley.
Mostly sandstone ashlar, with some red brick at rear, low hipped slate roof
concealed by a parapet. L-plan: double-depth front range with rear service
wing. Two storeys, symmetrical, in classical style; plinth, band, modillioned
cornice, plain parapet; in the centre, up 4 steps, a wide porch with unfluted
Ionic columns and entablature protecting a tripartite doorway with similar
columns and responds and very large elliptical fanlight with tracery; 6 tall
sashed windows at ground floor and 7 above, all without glazing bars. Right
return wall has 4 similar windows on each floor, the 1st at ground floor
blind; set-back and slightly lower service wing in matching style has
3 windows on each floor; rear of this wing of red brick in Flemish bond has in
centre a round-headed door with Tuscan architrave and fanlight, above this a
round-headed stairlight, and other openings of less interest. Interior:
principal feature of interest is circular entrance hall with geometrical stone
staircase, elegant curvilinear iron balusters, glass domed skylight with
moulded plaster frieze; doorways with classical architraves of various kinds;
moulded plaster ceilings (probably later C19).


Listing NGR: SD6031026651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.