This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7884 / 54°47'18"N
Longitude: -1.3301 / 1°19'48"W
OS Eastings: 443176
OS Northings: 543925
OS Grid: NZ431439
Mapcode National: GBR MF42.T9
Mapcode Global: WHD5S.JXV1
Entry Name: Former Girls Block South at Easington Colliery School
Listing Date: 13 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468880
Location: Easington Colliery, County Durham, SR8
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Easington Colliery
Built-Up Area: Easington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Easington Colliery
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 44 SW EASINGTON SEASIDE LANE
488/7/10005 Former Girls Block South at
Easington Colliery School
School classroom block. 1911-13 by J Morson of Durham. Red brick with concrete dressings and slate roofs. Baroque Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. South entrance front has rusticated surround with double glazed doors in moulded surround topped with plaque inscribed GIRLS. Above tall glazing bar stair window with keystone and brick rustication above again moulded band and 3-light attic window. Moulded cornice above topped with octagonal drum and concrete dome with flag poll. Either side 3 glazing bar casement windows one to each floor. North front has similar window arrangement. East elevation 21 windows arranged 3:6:3:6:3. Central projecting block has brick rustication and bracketed concrete cornice, with 3 tall glazing bar windows with double keystones to both floors. Either side 2 sets of 3 glazing bar windows with broader central windows and taller central windows on upper floor. Projecting end pavilions also have 3 tall glazing bar windows with broader central windows and taller central windows on upper floor under segment arched parapet, plus double doors to each pavilion in moulded concrete surrounds.
West front has similar window arrangement without entrance doors.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: NZ4317643925
Other nearby listed buildings