This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8679 / 50°52'4"N
Longitude: -1.3352 / 1°20'6"W
OS Eastings: 446880
OS Northings: 107806
OS Grid: SU468078
Mapcode National: GBR 88B.K8C
Mapcode Global: FRA 862T.5N5
Entry Name: Victoria House at Victoria Hospital
Listing Date: 27 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468829
Location: Hound, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO31
Civil Parish: Hound
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hound St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 40 NE NETLEY
1009/8/10004 Victoria House at Victoria
Army mental asylum, now police training HQ. 1866, by the Royal Engineers; remodelled for the Hampshire Constabulary in the 1980s. Red brick in Flemish bond with buff-coloured brick dressings. Slate roofs. Brick lateral stacks with corbelled tops. STYLE: Italianate. PLAN: E~shaped on plan; the flanking ward wings extending to the rear, the SE containing the infirmary; the dayroom in the central projection and with the stairs and dining hall in the central wing at the back; ablution blocks flank the front range. In the 1980s the interior was remodelled and the rear courtyards were infilled by the Hampshire Constabulary. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3:1:3:6:3:6:3:1:3 bay SW front; centre and end bays project with pediments with modillion cornices, wide rusticated brick quoins, pilasters and window architraves; round-headed windows with impost and cill bands, the first floor with apron panels; counter-balanced sashes with small panes, ground floor French casements; flanking square 3-bay ablution blocks with hipped roofs and modillion eaves. At the rear the wings are more plainly treated and have hipped roofs and sash windows; the central dining hall has gable-ended roof and four large round-headed windows on first floor and single-storey 7-bay range below with central entrance. The courtyards between the rear wings have been infilled with a 1980s glazed structure. INTERIOR: remodelled.
Listing NGR: SU4626309236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings