This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8374 / 50°50'14"N
Longitude: 0.4737 / 0°28'25"E
OS Eastings: 574272
OS Northings: 107120
OS Grid: TQ742071
Mapcode National: GBR PXD.DKQ
Mapcode Global: FRA C6WW.GCF
Entry Name: Numbers 4-22 (Even) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 15 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468839
Location: Rother, East Sussex, TN40
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bexhill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bexhill St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TO 70 NW BEXHILL MARINA COURT AVENUE
Numbers 4-22 (Even) and attached railings
Row of bungalows. Built between 1903 and i907 by various architects in a Moghul style. Nos 10-20 (even) were the first to be built by Durward Brown, followed by No.22 by Arthur Blackford and Nos 6 and 8 by W Tillott Barlow ARIBA, both of 1906, and finally No.4 built in 1907, architect not known but stylistically similar to Nos 6 and 8. No.4 is stuccoed with roof concealed by parapet but 2 domed chimneystacks. EXTERIOR: one storey and basement; 2 windows. Left side S-light canted bay with Moghul type arches and beehive glazed leaded lights. Central projecting porch with fretted balustrade, pilasters and double-arched door with round-headed fanlight above. Triple Moghul-arched window to right hand side. Attached spear railings. Rear elevation is of2 storeys with C20 conservatory. Nos 6 and 8 were built in 1906 by W Tillott Barlow. They are a handed pair, almost identical to No.4 but with plainer porches. Nos 10, 12, 14, 14A, 16, 18 and 20 were the earliest bungalows built by Durward Brown between 1903 and 1906. They are built of brick in Flemish bond with shallow roofs with later C20 sheeted coverings. The intersection of each bay has cemented domed chimneystacks. One storey and basement; 7 windows. Curved five-light bays with leaded lights. Projecting porches with doors with fluted pilasters, arched panels and fanlights. Nos 14, 16 and 20 have in addition copper domes. Attached area railings with urn principals and scrollwork panels. Rear elevation of2 storeys with wooden verandahs and late C20 patio doors. No.22 was built in 1906 by Arthur Blackford and is similar in style to Nos 10-20. Red brick in Flemish bond and flat roof with later C20 sheeted covering. One storey and basement; three windows. Projecting porch with wooden arched door. Left side S-light bay with C20 replacement window, one cambered mullioned and transomed window and one cambered window with later C20 casement. Small minaret to corner. Attached area railings. 2-storey rear with larger corner minaret and later C20 windows. HISTORY: the Maharajah of Cooch Behar occupied no 22 in 1911 to recuperate after attending George V's Coronation with adjoining houses occupied by his retinue but he died here on 18th September 1911.
Listing NGR: TQ7427207120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings