History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barcroft Hall with Attached Garden Wall and Entrance Gateway at Sd865304

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cliviger, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7699 / 53°46'11"N

Longitude: -2.2053 / 2°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 386562

OS Northings: 430417

OS Grid: SD865304

Mapcode National: GBR FS1V.BB

Mapcode Global: WHB84.3H3R

Entry Name: Barcroft Hall with Attached Garden Wall and Entrance Gateway at Sd865304

Listing Date: 1 April 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072668

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184025

Location: Cliviger, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Civil Parish: Cliviger

Built-Up Area: Cliviger

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Holme-in-Cliviger St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with attached
garden wall and entrance gateway
at SD 865 304

-
- II*


The fourth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:

" E-plan, facing north-west;north-east wing probably late C16,
hall range and south-west wing C17, and possibly of different
builds (modern addition to north-east wing is not of special
interest)."

------------------------------------
In the entry for:

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with
attached garden wall
1.4.53 and entrance gateway
at SD 865 304

- II*

The description shall be amended to read:

Lesser gentry hall-house, now house and 2 unoccupied cottages.
Late C16 and C17, with additions of C19 at north end; altered in
later C19 and subsequently. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins,
stone slate roofs. E-plan formed by an early C17 hall range on
a north-south axis facing west, with a former through passage at
its north end and an oriel in the centre altered as a porch; a
large projecting south wing of slightly later date; and a
projecting late C16 2-bay north wing (derelict at time of
inspection) which appears to have been associated with a former
hall-range to the north; plus later C18 and C19 parallel
additions to the north side of this wing and integrated with it.
Two and 3 storeys on a sloping site, the floor of the north wing
now higher than that of the hall, and that of the south wing
lower. A small grass forecourt is enclosed by a high screen wall
with a moulded and dog-toothed semi-circular arched gateway which
has a crow-stepped parapet incorporating a datestone lettered
"1636. The gabled 2-storey former oriel, on the same axis as the
gateway, has a plinth (carried round), a square-headed doorway
with moulded surround and lintel lettered "William Barcroft 1614"
inserted beneath the hoodmould of a former window, a double
chamfered mullioned 4-light window at 1st floor and a single
round-headed light immediately above, both with hoodmoulds; the
bay to the left has a blocked square-headed doorway, above this
(and offset left) a C16 gallery window of 4 recessed round-headed
lights, and at 1st floor a C17 mullioned 3-light window; the re-
entrant of the wing has C16 window of 3 round-headed lights. The
bay to the right has one small 2-light mullioned window on each
floor, and small round-headed loop-light in the corner to the
right of the upper. At the rear (inter alia) the hall has a
transomed king-mullioned window of 10+10 lights, at its north end
a doorway and gallery window like those at the front, and at its
south end 3 vertically-aligned 3-light windows, the lowest of
which is a firewindow; the north wing has a C16 window of 3
recessed round-headed lights at 1st floor and left of this a
small round-headed loop-light; the south wing has a transomed 10-
light window to the principal floor. Other windows of the hall-
range and south wing are also mullioned. The addition to the
north of the north wing has a vertical joint in the centre, the
portion to the west being of C18 masonry and the portion to the
east later C19, with openings accordingly.
INTERIOR: hall-range has lofty hall with beamed ceiling divided
into compartments, very large stone fireplace at south end with
remains of garderobe in its west side, late C19 gallery at north
end; and chamber floor with beamed ceilings and Cl7 fireplaces.
C16 north wing of 2 storeys and 2 bays divided by large chimney
stack; east bay has arched head of large former fireplace now
approx. 1 metre above floor level, and head of former doorway to
hall at corresponding level of partition wall (suggesting that
floor was raised to level of C18 and C19 additions on north
side); each chamber has a kingpost truss with moulded cambered
tie-beam on arched braces embedded in walls. North wall of this
wing (now partition to C18 and C19 additions) has remains of
former wide gap with dressed masonry at both ends suggesting
position of former hall. Lateral partition wall between 2
portions of northern additions has window at 1st floor indicating
that this was external gable wall of C18 western portion before
C19 eastern portion was added, and massive beam at first floor
level. Each portion is now internally integrated with one bay of
C16 wing to which it is attached, making 2 separate dwellings
(the cottages, derelict and dilapidated at time of inspection).
HISTORY and REFERENCES: VCH Lancs VI pp 483-4; (Supplementary
Series) "Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760"
[1985] pp 139-40 (et passim).

------------------------------------

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with attached
garden wall and entrance gateway
1.4.53 at SD 865 304

-
- II*


Lesser gentry hall-house, now 2 dwellings. Late C16 and C17, altered.
Coursed sandstone with quoins, stone slate roof. E-plan, facing north-west;
north-east wing probably late C16, hall range and south-west wing C17, and
possibly of different builds (modern addition to north-east wing not included
in the item). Two and 3 storeys on sloping site, the south-west wing raised
over a semi-basement. Small grass forecourt enclosed by high screen wall with
moulded and dogtoothed semi-circular arched gateway under crow-stepped parapet
incorporating datestone "1636"; on the same axis as the gateway a 2-storey
gabled porch, formerly an oriel, with moulded doorway inserted beneath the
hoodmould of a former window, the frieze over the doorway lettered
"William Barcroft 1614"; in the re-entrant to the left, a blocked former
doorway to the screens passage, above this a C16 window of 4 recessed
round-headed lights (lighting gallery), and in the re-entrant wall of the left
wing a similar window of 3 lights; the rear of this part has a corresponding
doorway to the screens passage, a similar 3-light window to the gallery, and
the rear gable of this wing has at 1st floor a similar but deeper 3-light
window, and a narrow looplight to the left; other external openings of the
earliest surviving part of the building all altered. Elsewhere, most of the
original C17 windows of the hall range and south-west wing survive unaltered,
they are recessed, with ovolo or chamfered mullions, and some at the front
have hoodmoulds (but none elsewhere); on the south side the hall is lit by a
transomed king-mullion window of 10 + 10 lights, and the principal floor of
the wing by transomed windows of 10 lights in the gable and 9 and 9 lights in
the return wall; at the south-west end of the hall range are 3
vertically-aligned 3-light windows, the lowest of which is the firewindow to a
very large arched stone hall fireplace. Interior: not inspected; interpretive
description in RCHM pp.139-140 (et passim). Reference also VCH Lancs VI
PP.483-4. Home of Barcroft family until estate was partitioned following
death of Thomas Barcroft 1668.


Listing NGR: SD8656230417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.