History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Cliviger, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7529 / 53°45'10"N

Longitude: -2.189 / 2°11'20"W

OS Eastings: 387634

OS Northings: 428520

OS Grid: SD876285

Mapcode National: GBR FT41.WF

Mapcode Global: WHB84.BXVT

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 1 April 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184027

Location: Cliviger, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Civil Parish: Cliviger

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Holme-in-Cliviger St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text

SD 82 NE CLIVIGER BURNLEY ROAD
Holme

6/21 Church of St. John the
Evangelist
1.4.1953
- II


Church, 1788-94, enlarged and altered 1897. Squared sandstone with dressed
quoins, (etc), roof concealed by parapet (probably slate). Rectangular 3-bay
plan, with 2 bay chancel and vestry added 1897. In simple classical style,
with plain string course, moulded cornice, low parapet, round-headed windows,
west bell turret finished with octagonal cupola; 2-storey entrance front at
west end has pedimented Tuscan architrave to round-headed door all within a
shallow round-headed blind arch described by the string course and containing
a lunette; 2 windows on each floor, all round-headed with circular tracery; a
round window in the pediment and 3 circular tie-plates at 1st floor. Side
walls have 3 large round headed windows in blind arches like that at the
front. South side has 2 downspouts with rainwater heads lettered 17 DW 97,
and a large cruciform tie-plate at each end. Two-bay chancel in matching
style has a Venetian east window (relocated). Gate archway on south side
surmounted by remains of late medieval carved stone cross. Interior: east end
altered 1897 by addition of chancel, but retaining triple arched screen wall
with high semi-circular central arch (formerly to a sanctuary recess) flanked
by lower arches (formerly to private pews of Ormerod and Whitaker families);
consecration date 1794 recorded in inscribed roundels on west side of pier to
Whitaker pew; at west end a gallery with 3 semi-circular arches below (the
outer blind) and 3 above, the wooden gallery front divided into 4 panels by
fluted pilasters, and the panels containing painted Commandment Tables; late
C15 or early C16 octagonal oak pulpit with open traceried panels and embattled
top; 4 carved oak stalls from former Blackburn Parish Church (demolished
1820), 2 having carved misericords; various wall monuments of Ormerod and
Whitaker families, including bust of T.D. Whitaker, historian; and painting of
General Scarlett, hero of Crimean War.


Listing NGR: SD8763428520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.