This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7778 / 53°46'40"N
Longitude: -2.1946 / 2°11'40"W
OS Eastings: 387275
OS Northings: 431293
OS Grid: SD872312
Mapcode National: GBR FS3R.PH
Mapcode Global: WHB84.896P
Entry Name: Higher Red Lees Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 April 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184039
Location: Cliviger, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10
Civil Parish: Cliviger
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Holme-in-Cliviger St John
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 53 SE CLIVIGER RED LEES ROAD
3/33 Higher Red Lees Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1631 internally; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, stone
slate roof, stone coping with kneelers and apex finial at left gable.
Two-unit plan with additional but integral through-passage at right hand end,
behind main chimney stack; added lean-to porch and kitchen overlapping this
end (modern addition to rear of left end not included). Two storeys; C19
doorway in C17 style inserted at junction of bays; original principal entrance
at right hand end, now inside lean-to, has a triangular-headed chamfered
doorway to the through-passage (a similar doorway at the rear end altered as a
window); at ground floor, recessed chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds:
4, 5 and 4 lights (the last being a firewindow); at 1st floor, three 3-light
chamfered flush mullion windows, and at the right hand end a chamfered single
light. Left gable has a 3-light window on each floor towards the rear; right
gable has a chamfered single light towards the rear at 1st floor; rear has the
altered doorway at ground floor, and a 2-and a 3-light flush mullion window
above. Two chimney stacks on the ridge. Interior: principal feature of
interest is exceptionally deep firehood area with a 2-stage stud-and-plank
heck wall protecting it from the original entry at the rear end of the
through-passage, and very large stop-chamfered firehood bressummer; 2
similarly decorated beams, the further ends surrounded with remains of moulded
plaster, and on the wall between them a moulded plaster shield lettered 1631
(= John Eastwood). Reference: RCHM p.141.
Listing NGR: SD8727231264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings