This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2594 / 51°15'33"N
Longitude: 0.2945 / 0°17'40"E
OS Eastings: 560195
OS Northings: 153640
OS Grid: TQ601536
Mapcode National: GBR MN8.WTN
Mapcode Global: VHHPV.2L1W
Entry Name: Plaxtol Church
Listing Date: 3 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357329
Location: Plaxtol, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Plaxtol
Built-Up Area: Plaxtol
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Plaxtol
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 6053 PLAXTOL CHURCH HILL
6/20 (north side)
No dedication. Church. Built 1649, restored 1852, chancel and transepts 1894.
Coursed, galletted rubble stone nave and tower on stone plinth. Two-stage tower,
crenellated with sole remaining unrestored 1649 window to west. Four-bay nave with gable south porch; C19 gable-parapet and knellers. North and south transepts with 3-light windows, south transept with semi-basement entrance. Boarded and ribbed door, dripmould over. Three-light west window. Corner buttresses round east end, that to north-east on north transeptal chapel arched allowing walkway through. Interior. Original rectangular 6-bay church visible inside. Pointed tower arch. Hammerbeam roof resting on tripled octagonal stone wall-shafts. King posts over. Wooden tie-beam truss roofs in transepts. Raised chancel with barrel-vault supported by carved brackets on imposts. Marble reredos containing 3 wooden relief of the Last Supper, probably Flemish C15. Later relief panel of the parting of the Red Sea in south transept. C17 pulpit, panelled with introduced figure reliefs. Pair of Rococo brass chandeliers, dated 1785. Monument to Thomas Dalyson, d.1741, in the form of a Baroque cartouche.
Listing NGR: TQ6019553640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings