This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2616 / 51°15'41"N
Longitude: 0.298 / 0°17'52"E
OS Eastings: 560432
OS Northings: 153892
OS Grid: TQ604538
Mapcode National: GBR MN8.XV5
Mapcode Global: VHHPV.3KW6
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357338
Location: Plaxtol, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Plaxtol
Built-Up Area: Plaxtol
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Plaxtol
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 6053 PLAXTOL GRANGE HILL
6/11 (north side)
1.8.52 The Grange
House. Early C17 house refronted in 1702, remodelled in 1926 by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
North front. Ashlar plinth, brown brick with red dressings, stone quoins and cills.
Panelled parapet, angled up to right, partly so at left. Plain tiled roof hidden by
parapet. Two storeys and attic; 7 window facade, slightly irregular. One central
attic window, 5 windows on first floor, 4 windows on ground floor. Oeil de Boeuf
above door, its flanking windows with gauged round-arched brick heads and carved stone
imposts 2 outer ground floor window on each side have been blocked. All windows,
except those mentioned above, with gauged flat-arched brick heads and open boxed
glazing bar sashes. Central entrance with panelled pilaster strips and scroll
brackets supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze and flat hood. Part glazed,
part panelled door. East front. Red brick with 2 half-hipped gables to right above
moulded wooden cornice. Two storeys: 4 window front, glazing bar sashes with open
boxes. South frontd. Red brick ground floor, except to right. Rendered, with 3
half-hipped gables, that to left set back, the centre one wider, and that to right 3
storeys. One valley chimney-stack to left. Three glazing bar sashes on first floor,
one on ground and second floors under right-hand gable. Wide central flat-roofed
glazed C19 weather-porch. C20 doorway to left, flanked by pilaster strips supporting
flat entablature with pulvinated frieze. West front. Red brick with plat band and
moulded cornice. Two storeys, 5 windows, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads, 3
blind windows on first floor. This side was remodelled by Lutyens, who altered the
C19 stables to the left. Red brick with return gables to north and east, these
tile-hung. Two storeys; 2 windows to north with long margin-light casements. To the
south a C18 cottage was incorporated. Random rubble stone, partly galletted, with red
brick dressings. Plain tiled roof, with east end stack and west ridge stack. One
storey; 3 windows to south, casements. At the time of the Lutyens' alterations the
entrance was removed to the rear. Interior. Tall, narrow T-shaped hall with landing
at far end and staircase to right. Dining room. By Lutyens. Oak fielded panelling
with moulded cornice. Green marble surround to fireplace. Panelled window shutters.
Brass door locks copied from early C18 locks elsewhere in the house. Drawing room.
By Lutyens. Oak panelling with panelled marble fireplace.
Listing NGR: TQ6043253892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings