History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Altham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7935 / 53°47'36"N

Longitude: -2.348 / 2°20'52"W

OS Eastings: 377170

OS Northings: 433079

OS Grid: SD771330

Mapcode National: GBR DS1K.GW

Mapcode Global: WH96Q.XX26

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 17 December 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072721

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183847

Location: Altham, Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Civil Parish: Altham

Built-Up Area: Altham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Altham St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Padiham

Listing Text

ALTHAM BURNLEY ROAD
SD 73 SE
3/44 Church of St. James
17.12.1968
- II*

Church, C16, with tower 1859, chancel restored at same date.
Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with aisles,
chancel. Short 3-stage battlemented tower in perpendicular style
has arched west doorway with figure stopped hoodmould, a 2-light
window above, and belfry with 2-light openings. Three-bay nave and
aisles; all windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels,
hollow chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds, (that at east end of south
aisle with remains of figured stops). Low gabled porch to 1st bay
of south aisle, with part of Norman font built into side bench. Two-
bay chancel in perpendicular style. Interior: nave arcade of octagonal
columns with moulded caps, rounded arches; arch-braced roof with
collars and longitudinal bracing to ridge (apparently ex situ, as wall
posts intersect window heads);' north wall of chancel has late medieval
piscina (low, with ogival head), south wall incorporates semi-circular
and diaper-worked tympanum of Norman door (re-located), east window of
north aisle has cinquefoil tracery, and head made of re-set medieval
slab carved with a sword; head of door in south aisle similarly carved
with cross and sword; octagonal font with panels carrying Instruments of
the Passion given by Abbot Paslew of Whalley; C19 pews with doors and
identical moulded cast iron finials to the ends; 4 C19 hatchments, and
various C18 and C19 wall tablets. History: first established as
vicarage of church of Whalley; until 1870 was parish church to Accrington.


Listing NGR: SD7717033079

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.