History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.752 / 53°45'7"N

Longitude: -2.3653 / 2°21'55"W

OS Eastings: 376008

OS Northings: 428465

OS Grid: SD760284

Mapcode National: GBR CTX1.QR

Mapcode Global: WH96X.MYWJ

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Last Amended: 7 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183804

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnfield

Built-Up Area: Accrington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Accrington St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Listing Text

In the entry for ACCRINGTON CANNON STREET

7/8 Church of St James

The item shall be amended to read ACCRINGTON ST JAMES STREET

Church of St James

------------------------------------

ACCRINGTON CANNON STREET
SD 72 NE
7/8 Church of St. James
22. 8. 1966
GV II

Church, 1763 enlarged and altered at various dates in early C19. Coursed
sandstone with sandstone dressings, slate roof. Nave (enlarged by
rebuilding of north wall in 1804 and extension of east end in 1828), west
tower of 1804. Simple rectangular plan with attached tower embraced by
additions of 1818 and 1855. Short 4-stage embattled tower has rusticated
quoins, a round-headed west door, a round-headed first floor window with
Y-tracery, louvred belfry openings of similar design. Two-storey nave
with round-arched 3-light windows with transom at impost level and Y
tracery separated by the middle light. At east end of south wall
(extension of 1828) is doorway with pedimented architrave dated "1763",
at west end is the modern entrance. East window now has Gothic tracery,
West end has 2 lettered panels:

"G. GARBETT MA INCUMBENT
JOHN PRIESTLEY ) WARDEWS
CHRIS. ROYSTON )
J. BRIDGE, SEXTON"

and

"THIS ENLARGEMENT OF
ST. JAMES' CHURCH
WAS MADE BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
AD 1855"

Interior: galleries on 3 sides supported by slim iron columns; unusual
deep ceiling trusses give the appearance of Gothic space frames; various
wall tablets, principally to members of the Peel and Hargreaves families.
History: was chapel of ease to Altham Parish Church until 1870.


Listing NGR: SD7600828465

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.