History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ewood Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6837 / 53°41'1"N

Longitude: -2.3121 / 2°18'43"W

OS Eastings: 379483

OS Northings: 420851

OS Grid: SD794208

Mapcode National: GBR DT9V.77

Mapcode Global: WH97B.GN7V

Entry Name: Ewood Hall

Listing Date: 23 November 1979

Last Amended: 30 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185670

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Eden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Musbury St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN EWOOD BRIDGE

5/92 Ewood Hall
23.11.1979
GV II*

Large farmhouse, dated 1641 over door, altered, now house. Coursed sandstone
rubble, stone slate roof with external chimneys at both gables and altered
ridge chimney replacing original rear wall chimney stack. Shallow U-shaped
plan of 3 unequal bays, the 3rd probably originally incorporating a through
passage; later extended to rear giving double depth. Three storeys: integral
porch at left hand side of 3rd bay has moulded Tudor-arched surround,
hoodmould linked to that over 12-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom
window to right, datestone with chamfered surround over the door lettered in
relief 1641; 1st and 2nd bays have similar 12 and 16-light windows, upper
CGIG
floors have hollow-chamfered windows of 5, 6, 2 and 5 lights at 1st floor (all
with hoodmoulds), 2, 4, 2 and 2 lights above. Left return wall has one window
on each floor in front of the stack, of 2,2, and one light. At right end the
chimney stack has a round-headed firelight to the front and the wall continued
from the chimney has a 3-light window with hoodmould. Other openings to rear
are of less interest, all vertical rectangular. Interior: housepart in middle
bay has large moulded segmental-arched fireplace (interior now altered as
passage); original kitchen in 3rd bay has similar but larger fireplace with
chamfered surround; parlour and chamber above in lst bay have moulded
Tudor-arched fireplaces. History: occupied by Charles Gregory, yeoman, member
of Presbyterian classis1646, will proved 1649 with inventory totalling
£349:13:07 including "too paire Loomes", "Liberarie" valued at £03:10:00, and
"money in his trunke £112:19:06", debts and rents in arrears £51:14:09.
Exceptional survival of the few houses of this type and period in this
District.


Listing NGR: SD7948320851

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.