History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7008 / 53°42'2"N

Longitude: -2.3215 / 2°19'17"W

OS Eastings: 378870

OS Northings: 422756

OS Grid: SD788227

Mapcode National: GBR DT7N.63

Mapcode Global: WH97B.97RQ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185687

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Greenfield

Built-Up Area: Haslingden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Laneside St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN LANE SIDE

5/109 Church of St. Peter
-
- II

Church, 1890, by Basil Champneys, ( uncompleted). Sandstone rubble, slate
roof. Nave and chancel in one (originally intended as north aisle), with
lean-to south aisle (in place of intended nave), octagonal east turret; in
Decorated style. Six bays; walls battered at lower level; gabled porch to 2nd
bay of north side has moulded arch flanked by buttresses; to the right a
2-light traceried window, to the left 3 similar windows, and in the
easternmost bay at a slightly higher level coupled similar but slightly
smaller windows: all these with hoodmoulds; larger 4-light west window and
3-light east window, also with hoodmoulds; at south-east corner an octagonal
turret with belfry and battlements. Organ house at east end of present aisle,
with tusking for continuation of intended chancel. Interior: 6-bay aisle
arcade of octagonal columns and chamfered 2-centred arches; elegantly
arch-braced Queen-strut roof with flat ceiling to the centre, except chancel
end which has panelled wagon roof; on north wall a brass memorial plaque to
the Reverend Weldon Champneys, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, Vicar of
Haslingden, Rural Dean of Whalley, Honorary Canon of Manchester Cathedral
(etc) died 1892, erected by the parishioners inter alia "... as a recognition
of the munificence of himself and his widow towards this church".


Listing NGR: SD7887022756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.