History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6917 / 53°41'30"N

Longitude: -2.2249 / 2°13'29"W

OS Eastings: 385248

OS Northings: 421714

OS Grid: SD852217

Mapcode National: GBR DTXR.3C

Mapcode Global: WHB8H.SGQR

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185624

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Stacksteads

Built-Up Area: Bacup

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tunstead Holy Trinity with Bacup St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 82 SE
7/47

BACUP, Stacksteads,
NEWCHURCH ROAD,
Church of the Holy Trinity

GV II

Church, 1840-41, with chancel and transept 1873. Coursed dressed
sandstone, low-pitched slate roof. Nave, west tower with small
spire, chancel with south transept; in Norman style, except 1873 additions
which are Decorated. Three-stage tower with pilasters, and gablets to
the 2nd stage which carries an octagonal belfry finished with a small
spire; moulded round-headed west doorway, blind arcade above, and
round-headed west window containing 2 round-headed lights; clock faces
in west and south gablets, tall round-headed louvres in cardinal sides
of belfry. Wide 5-bay nave with pilaster strips and tall chamfered
lancets. Gabled transept to south of chancel has angle buttresses finished
as short pinnacles, 2-centred arched windows with tracery and hoodmoulds,
doorway in angle of re-entrant, chancel has large 5-light traceried
east window with a transom. Interior: simple vessel with panelled ceiling,
west gallery with interlaced arcade front panelling; large rounded
chancel arch with shafts and hoodmould; sides of chancel are 2-bay
arcades with columns and semi-octagonal responds which have foliated
capitals and 2 shaft rings each, roof has arch-braced hammerbeam truss;
cylindrical pulpit of white stone with polished shafts, sculptured
panels (Faith, Hope, Charity), in memory of Margaret Munn (d. 1873).


Listing NGR: SD8524821714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.