This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6189 / 53°37'8"N
Longitude: -2.6971 / 2°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 353988
OS Northings: 413821
OS Grid: SD539138
Mapcode National: GBR 9VLL.WG
Mapcode Global: WH86D.J9XJ
Entry Name: Copyhold Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357867
Location: Wrightington, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN6
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Wrightington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Wrightington with Heskin St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
WRIGHTINGTON CARR HOUSE LANE(off)
SD 51 SW
5/91 Copyhold Farmhouse
House. 1659 with C19 alterations. Brick on sandstone rubble plinth with
sandstone dressings, and stone slate roof now coated with bitumen. Lobby-
entry plan with 2-storey porch and with cross-wing at right (north-east).
2 storeys with attic. To the left of the porch there is a blocked window
on each floor. Between them is a lozenge pattern in projecting bricks. To
the right of the porch there is a tall C19 window with plain reveals on each
floor. The front wall of the cross-wing is of one bay and has been rebuilt in
sandstone. The windows have plain stone surrounds except for an attic window
which has plain reveals. The porch has a 1st floor window with plain reveals and
a doorway with plain brick reveals and a stone lintel inscribed: 'OHM 1659'.
At the rear an outshut has a blocked 2-light brick-mullioned window. The rear
wall of the cross-wing has 4 windows with brick labels.
Interior: The housepart contains a large decorative plaster wall panel in deep
relief covering much of the cross-wall at the upper end, opposite the former
firehood. The area covered in some 10ft in width by 8ft in height and consists of a bold design of a central fleur-de-lys in a cartouche flanked by cornucopiae with a human face at the bottom and what appears to be a crude animal head at the top. To L and R of this are decorated urns with pendants, both topped by fleurs, with vines emerging from the urns to fill the field between the major features. There are human heads in profile beneath the central design. The vines extend from the L urn across the adjacent doors to the staircase lobby and rear entrance, but are interrupted by a modern inserted timber wall. The main design descends from ceiling height to a depth of 4ft 2ins with a panelled frieze 1ft 11ins deep below, which is 1ft 10ins above floor level. The whole is well-preserved, and a rare survival. Other interior points: two spiral newel staircases; 1/4 round beams.
Listing NGR: SD5398813821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings