This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5877 / 53°35'15"N
Longitude: -2.9479 / 2°56'52"W
OS Eastings: 337351
OS Northings: 410543
OS Grid: SD373105
Mapcode National: GBR 7VVY.LM
Mapcode Global: WH86G.P2GX
Entry Name: Halsall House
Listing Date: 14 January 1992
Last Amended: 18 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357897
Location: Halsall, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Halsall
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Halsall St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD31SE HALSALL HALSALL ROAD
1283-0/0/10001 Halsall House
House, probably built as rectory, now private dwelling. c.1847-50, by Sydney Smirke for the Blundell family. Coursed squared sandstone in large blocks, slate roof. Irregular rectangular double-depth plan under 2-span roof, on north-east/south-west axis, with south-east turret. Jacobean style. Two storeys with cellars and attics, a 3-window range with short gabled wings at each end linked by a 5-bay loggia which has buttressed piers, chamfered Perpendicular arches, a drip-band and an embattled parapet. Within this loggia the ground floor has a Perpendicular arched doorway in the centre flanked by small 1-light windows, and a 6-light mullion-and-transom window to the 1st bay; above it, the 1st floor has a cross-window flanked by 6-light windows, a drip-band interrupted by 4 rainwater heads and carried round, and a parapet also carried round. The gables of the flanking wings both have extruded chimney stacks, each with a plaque at 1st-floor level carved in linenfold pattern, and 3 clustered octagonal chimneys. The right-hand (south) return wall is of 2 gabled bays, the first projected, with similar mullion-and-transom windows including French windows to the projection in the form of tall coupled cross-windows, and attic windows of 1 and 2 lights in the gables; and at the right hand corner is a 3-stage turret, square at ground floor and octagonal above, with lancet windows, a moulded cornice and a lead-clad ogival cap surmounted by a weathervane. The rear has (inter alia) a canted bay window and a shallow rectangular bay window, both transomed and the latter with arched upper lights. (The north end has various altered service extensions, and a C20 conservatory attached to these). INTEPIOR: entrance hall with mosaic floor (now concealed), leading (through recently enlarged opening) to large staircase hall which has open-well staircase in Jacobean style, and 3 doorways into the principal rooms with wide pilastered architraves, those to the library and dining room coupled, with semi-circular arches over the cornice; library with original built-in mahogany bookcases; drawing room with wall panels; moulded plaster, cornices in drawing room and library (acanthus leaf and egg-and-dart); complete suite of cellars.
Forms a group with associated ha-ha (q.v.).
History: appears to have been built to replace former rectory approx. 100 metres south-west, which was part C14, the ruins still visible in 1955.
This building was added to the list by 4th Amendment, dated 14 January 1992 and the entry amended by 5th Amendment, dated 18 February 1992.
Listing NGR: SD3735110543
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings