History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bamber Bridge, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.7552 / 53°45'18"N

Longitude: -2.7234 / 2°43'24"W

OS Eastings: 352400

OS Northings: 429001

OS Grid: SD524290

Mapcode National: GBR T68.D5

Mapcode Global: WH85M.4WD2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357981

Location: Penwortham, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Civil Parish: Penwortham

Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Penwortham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/76 Church of St. Mary

Church: west tower C15, nave with low aisles by E.G. Paley 1855,
chancel C14. Stone, slate roof. Battlemented tower with diagonal
buttresses; west doorway with moulded arch and hoodmould; moulded
dripstone band (west front only) from which rises an arched 3-light 1st
floor window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould; above this is an
ogee-headed niche with crocketed pinnacles, and at top level on all
sides arched and traceried 2-light belfry louvres with hoodmoulds;
battlemented coping with pinnacles. Nave has on each side 5 arched
2-light windows with curvilinear tracery. Aisles, which are buttressed
at the corners, have windows with varied forms of tracery; prominent
gabled porch with moulded arch at 2nd bay of south aisle. Low chancel
of coursed rectangular blocks has angle buttresses, arched windows with
simple cusped tracery, one other window on north side which is roughly
square and has cusped jambs and head; and a narrow arched priest's
door in south wall (now blocked) with a datestone above it lettered in
relief F
(said to be initials of John and Anne Fleetwood). Interior: nave
arcade of 4 bays, columns alternately round and octagonal with moulded
capitals; depressed kingpost roof, arch-braced chancel roof. Font,
dated 1667, square with chamfered corners, on square pillar. Various
memorial tablets of Rawstorne family; one in south aisle, dated 1863,
to John Horrocks (d.1804;q.v.); another in chancel, to Christopher
Musgrave of Edenfield, Cumbria, (d.1735) of black slate with Arms in
the head. Fragments of early stained glass in chancel windows.

Listing NGR: SD5240029001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.