History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hesketh Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Works, nr Howick Cross, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.746 / 53°44'45"N

Longitude: -2.7609 / 2°45'39"W

OS Eastings: 349918

OS Northings: 428004

OS Grid: SD499280

Mapcode National: GBR T0J.FG

Mapcode Global: WH85S.K3JL

Entry Name: Hesketh Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357987

Location: Penwortham, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Civil Parish: Penwortham

Built-Up Area: Works, nr Howick Cross

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Penwortham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


3/82 Hesketh Farmhouse
- II

Farmhouse, now house, dated 1700 but probably earlier and extended at
that date. Brick (some recent) slate roof, with some stone slates at
rear and on outshut. Plan T-shaped with cross-wing on right. Two
storeys with garrets, one ridge chimneystack to each range of building.
Segmental-headed doorway to cross-passage near the angle, with plank door
and datestone over with incised cursive lettering:

Walton Ellin
his wife and
their son Ano
Domi 1700

Windows are now casements with segmental heads, but there are blocked
former window openings, some with C17-type brick hoodmoulds in left
gable. Rear and side walls of crosswing have brick bands. There is a
blocked doorway beneath the stairlight window in the crosswing.
Interior: housepart in 2nd bay has hearth backing onto cross-passage,
blocked inglenook with cambered bressumer and heck-post, (former door to
dairy in 1st bay now blocked); in several rooms beams with stopped ovolo
moulding;dog-leg staircase in centre of crosswing has string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail with raised grip and is lettered on the
string "T W E 1700"; a quarter-turn stair of similar pattern from 1st
floor to attic of 1st bay. Door from cross-passage to housepart is of
heavily studded planks(probably original entrance); some other doors on
both floors have 2 bolection-moulded panels and similarly-moulded
diamond-shaped insets. Brick smoke hoods to both hearths. Roof to 1st
and 2nd bays has 2 trusses composed of tie-beams, collars, and 2 pairs
of trenched windbraced purlins, and junction wall has a 2-light unglazed
brick mullion window, indicating original gable wall.

Listing NGR: SD4991828004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.