History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Inskip-with-Sowerby, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8349 / 53°50'5"N

Longitude: -2.8174 / 2°49'2"W

OS Eastings: 346302

OS Northings: 437931

OS Grid: SD463379

Mapcode National: GBR 8SR3.T1

Mapcode Global: WH855.PWK0

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185025

Location: Inskip-with-Sowerby, Wyre, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Inskip-with-Sowerby

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Inskip

Listing Text

SD 43 NE INSKIP-WITH-SOWERBY B5269

8/13 Church of St. Peter
17-4-1967
- II

Church, 1848 by J.E. Gregan, with chancel and tower added in 1925 by Austin
and Paley. Original church of squared rock-faced limestone with sandstone
dressings and slate roof; additions mainly in sandstone. Comprises a nave,
lower chancel, south porch, and a north transept with a tower to its west.
West wall of 2 bays, having buttresses with offsets and lancet windows
with angle shafts. Above is a wheel window with shafts as spokes and a
bellcote with trefoiled opening and cross finial. The south-western
buttress contains a flue which terminates in a louvre with gablets and
lancet openings. The south nave wall is of 4 bays to the east of the porch
and has chamfered lancets separated by buttresses. To the west of the porch
is a double lancet window. On the north side are 5 nave bays. The tower is
of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, broached to a spire. The bell openings
are of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with trefoil. The spire has
gablets on 4 sides with lancet openings. The 3 south chancel windows are
similar to the bell openings. The east window has 3 stepped lancets with
angle shafts. Interior. The nave has 5 roof trusses, carried on corbels and
with arch-braced collars and short king posts. The chancel has a barrel roof
with one king-post truss with raised tie beam. The chancel arch is chamfered
in 2 orders, with moulded imposts and semi-octagonal responds. The east
window has moulded pointed inner arches and attached shafts.


Listing NGR: SD4630237931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.