History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Church of St John Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pilling, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.929 / 53°55'44"N

Longitude: -2.9111 / 2°54'39"W

OS Eastings: 340273

OS Northings: 448477

OS Grid: SD402484

Mapcode National: GBR 8R30.KB

Mapcode Global: WH84R.8H0V

Entry Name: Old Church of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 3 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073080

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185036

Location: Pilling, Wyre, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Pilling

Built-Up Area: Pilling

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Pilling

Listing Text

SD 44 NW PILLING SCHOOL LANE (off)

3/24 Old Church of St. John Baptist
17.4.1967 (Previously listed as Old Church of
GV II* St.John Baptist ,now used as mortuary
chapel)

Church, 1717 with early C19th alterations. Squared red sandstone, rendered
on N., E., and W. sides, with plinth, chamfered quoins, and other dressings
of grey sandstone. Slate roof. South wall of 5 bays. Windows have plain
stone surrounds with semi-circular heads, keystones and impost blocks, and
a central chamfered mullion. The west bay has a similar shorter window over
the door, with no mullion and of a redder stone. The door has a plain
stone surround with semi-circular head, imposts carved with crute Ionic
volutes, and a keystone inscribed "1717". Above is a sandstone sundial
plaque inscribed "Thus ETERNITY approacheth. G. Holden 1766". The east
window is similar to those on the south, but with 2 chamfered mullions. The
west gable has a bellcote with segmental coping, probably early C19th.
The north wall is of 5 bays, probably altered in early C19th when the gallery
was inserted. The lower windows have rebated and chamfered jambs and flat
lintels of red sandstone. Above are lunette windows with plain stone
surrounds and keystones. Interior has a flat plaster ceiling, and an early
C.19th gallery on the north and west sides supported on timber Tuscan columns
and with a front of raised panels in grained timber. Fixed oak benches,
with a simple plank for seat and back, appear to be original. At the
north-east side are 3 box pews of raised panels, one with "17 IA 19"
inscribed on the door. A 2-decker pulpit has similar panelling. At the
north-west of the church are 2 box pews of grained timber. The communion
table is enclosed by railings with turned balusters. The C18th sandstone
font is in the shape of an urn. Replaced by the new Church of St. John
(q.v.) in 1887, this is an unusual survival of a small Georgian church.


Listing NGR: SD4027348477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.