History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Scarisbrick, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.5938 / 53°35'37"N

Longitude: -2.9069 / 2°54'24"W

OS Eastings: 340072

OS Northings: 411180

OS Grid: SD400111

Mapcode National: GBR 8V4W.GG

Mapcode Global: WH869.BX0T

Entry Name: Hill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Last Amended: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357735

Location: Scarisbrick, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Scarisbrick

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ormskirk St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SD 41 SW
9/32 No.54 (Hill Farmhouse)
(formerly listed as "No.54
(Farmhouse at west end of
Moorfield Lane"))
- II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1650 in gable of wing; altered. Coursed
squared sandstone with quoins, stone slate roof. T-plan: 2-bay wing on
east-west axis, with a single-bay main range on the north side (probably
replacing an earlier hallrange). Two storeys; the gable of the wing has on
each floor a recessed 3-light casement with deeply chamfered reveal,
(probably formerly stone-mullioned), near the apex a datestone with incised
lettering O S O (the "O" letters in the top line each trailing a double
R 1650 M
tail); the left return wall of the wing has a hoodmould to a blocked
opening into the front bay, a large external chimney stack to this bay,
finished with a modern brick chimney, and an inserted window to the rear
bay; the rear gable is painted white, has an inserted door and large glazed
porch at ground floor, and inserted windows in and beside an old window at
1st floor. The main range of graduated coursed masonry has at the front a
doorway abutting the wing, and one horizontal rectangular window on each
floor, both with surrounds like those in the wing but only slightly
recessed; and at the back a single-storey extension, and a gable chimney.
Interior: wing has stop-chamfered beams in both parts, a lateral partition
wall of brick at ground floor but timber-framed with wattle-and-daub panels
at 1st floor (concealed); kitchen (in main range) has a rectangular stone
fireplace (concealed). History: not known, but wing appears to be earlier
part, and its external chimney stack suggests a parlour fireplace in a
formerly larger house.

Listing NGR: SD4007211180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.