This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5873 / 52°35'14"N
Longitude: -0.7239 / 0°43'25"W
OS Eastings: 486552
OS Northings: 299594
OS Grid: SP865995
Mapcode National: GBR CSK.XDX
Mapcode Global: WHFL1.V7GC
Entry Name: Uppingham School Library
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186741
Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Uppingham
Built-Up Area: Uppingham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM
10.11.55 Uppingham School:
Library, formerly hospital and chapel. 1584, altered and extended C19 and C20,
including work by T G Jackson and Oliver Hill. Of coursed squared ironstone with
Collyweston stone slate roofs and coped gables with finials. Two parallel ranges,
running east-west, the south range originally the hospital and the north range (now
taller) on the site of the chapel and presumably incorporating stonework from it.
South front one storey and attic. Plinth and ovolo-moulded cornice. Ground floor has
1 and 2-light stone mullioned windows, mostly ovolo-moulded but the 3 westernmost
windows are C19 replacements and chamfered. The westernmost 2 also have transoms.
Five 2-light dormers beneath coped gables with finials of varying design. Leaded
panels to window. East end has a 3-light C19 window with transom, and a c.1968 one
room flat-roofed canted extension lit by a 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window.
Interior gutted, reroofed and converted to library c.1890 by T G Jackson, has
Jacobean revival fireplace at west end and decorative plasterwork to the vaulted
ceiling. North range, now 5 windows wide and one lofty storey, has a west end stack
and an ogee Gothick cupola with weathervane dated 1825, marking a rebuilding and
heightening. The final bay, east of a buttress, and the canted east end stair turret
with gable on decorative kneelers, date from c.1890 (but reusing old stones, some
carved with names and initials by pupils). Tall rectangular windows, with slightly
convex leaded panes. Doorway to west in 4-centred hollow-chamfered arch (beneath
carved vesica and memorial inscription) leads into World War II Memorial by Oliver
Hill, a full-height barrel-vaulted space lined and floored with patterned marble,
niche to south with names of fallen and pedimented doorway to east leading into north
range of library with "stripped classical" panelling and gallery to south. Hospital
and chapel founded by Robert Johnson, Archdeacon of Leicester, at the same time as the
school. During the C18 the school took over the hospital building as a boarding
house, and at first used the chapel as a dining hall.
Listing NGR: SP8655299594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings