History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Uppingham School Offices and Common Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Uppingham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5873 / 52°35'14"N

Longitude: -0.7242 / 0°43'27"W

OS Eastings: 486530

OS Northings: 299593

OS Grid: SP865995

Mapcode National: GBR CSK.XBB

Mapcode Global: WHFL1.V7BC

Entry Name: Uppingham School Offices and Common Room

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186742

Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Uppingham

Built-Up Area: Uppingham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM
4/5 Uppingham School:
Offices and Common Room
GV
II


House, now offices and common room. 1584, extended late C18, c.1830 and c.1970. Of
coursed squared ironstone and ashlar with Collyweston stone slate roof, coped gables
and stone ridge and end stacks. One storey and attics. Original house L-plan. South
front has 3 C19 2-light windows with chamfered mullions and cornices to ground floor,
and 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned dormer beneath coped gable with finial,
similar to those of library (q.v.) adjoining, but perhaps lengthened as it breaks
slightly through cornice. Small hipped 2-light C19 dormer high in the roof slope.
C19 casement openings, that to the upper dormer with leaded lights. Late C18 and
c.1830 addition to west of ashlar, cross-gabled with decorative ridge tiles. Two
storeys and attic. South front has two 2-light full-length chamfered mullioned
windows, with transom set very high, to ground floor, two 2-light windows with
hood-moulds to first floor and a single-light opening in the gable. Decorative
rainwater heads. West front of original house masked by one-storey,c.1970, addition
lit by sash windows and containing entrance. Two hipped dormers in roof slope visible
behind. West front of late C18 and c.1830 block has 2-storey canted bay window.
Built as warden's house to hospital founded by Robert Johnson, Archdeacon of
Leicester.


Listing NGR: SP8653099593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.