History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Shires Restaurant and Free House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stretton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7295 / 52°43'46"N

Longitude: -0.5972 / 0°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 494828

OS Northings: 315575

OS Grid: SK948155

Mapcode National: GBR DS9.ZT0

Mapcode Global: WHGLG.SNTB

Entry Name: The Shires Restaurant and Free House

Listing Date: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186695

Location: Stretton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Stretton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Stretton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
South Witham

Listing Text

STRETTON

SK 91 NW GREAT NORTH ROAD (East side)

3/125 The Shires Restaurant and
Free House

II

Restaurant and Free House, formerly Rectory, of 1810. Coursed rubble
stone with quoins and stone dressings and twin-span hipped Collyweston
slate roof with stone end stacks. Stone cornice band and wide eaves
with wooden brackets. Faces right. 2½ storeys of 3 6/6 sash windows.
3 2-light dormers over. On ground floor a central flat-roofed porch
with a painted Tuscan column on the front corners and a pilaster behind.
Glazed door with overlight. Either side a canted bay with 4/4 : 6/6:
4/4 sash windows. On either end a 1 storey extension with hipped Collyweston
slate roof that to right with parapet. On right extension a 6/6 sash
with lunette over and on that to left a French window with lunette over.
On left side of this 2 C20 bow windows and a C20 1 storey, wing to rear.
Formerly Stretton Rectory. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877.


Listing NGR: SK9482815575

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.