This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7216 / 52°43'17"N
Longitude: -0.6325 / 0°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 492458
OS Northings: 314651
OS Grid: SK924146
Mapcode National: GBR DSG.8XC
Mapcode Global: WHGLG.8V1D
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186643
Location: Greetham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Greetham
Built-Up Area: Greetham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Greetham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 91 SW CHURCH LANE (East side)
14.6.54 Church of St. Mary
Church of C13-C15 with Norman remains and S porch of 1673. Restored 1897
by J.A. Cossins of Birmingham. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, and
ashlar tower, with Collyweston slate, lead and parapetted roofs. W tower,
nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel vestry and S porch. Tower of C13/C14
and of 3 stages with plinth and clasping buttresses, the SW enclosing
a stair with slits. N and S lancets to 2nd stage and 4 Dec bell openings.
Frieze of small heads and very fine, tall spire with small broaches and
3 tiers of lucarnes. W window with restored Perp tracery and quardruple-
chamfered arch to nave, 2 dying into triple shafted and chamfered responds.
A buttress either side. C14 4 bay N arcade: double hollow chamfered arches
with stopped ends over slender octagonal piers. S aisle of c1300: 3 bays
of chamfered and hollow chamfered arches over octagonal piers. Clerestory
of 3 quatrefoils to N and 3 2-light restored Perp windows to S. 4 bay
low-pitch tie beam roof of 1897 with wall pieces and curved braces on
stone corbels. Parapet outside. In N aisle NW window with Reticulated
tracery, N window similar with C20 stained glass by Donald Brooke of
Long Compton, and NE window a 3-light Perp within earlier arch. Cusped
frame probably for small painting to right. Outside buttresses with set-offs
and blocked N door with hollowed chamfered arch. C13 chancel with 3 lancets
to S, 1 in wall set slightly on diagonal and 2 with stained glass of
1896. C19 N vestry. E window with restored Reticulated tracery. Restored
3 bay tie beam roof. In S aisle SW lancet with fragments of Norman tympanum
built into wall around. C19 S window in earlier arch and S door with
S porch dated 1673 possibly re-using arch. Sundial over. Cusped 1-light
with stained glass by Donald Brooke, 3-light window behind organ. This
section of S aisle altered in 1897. Outside, nave has frieze of,small
heads and 2 C18 wall monuments are set into chancel E wall. Inside, c1200
font restored 1840, and C17 panelling forming dado in chancel. Reused.
The carved panels depict the Garden of Eden, the Ark, Daniel in the Lion's
Den, the Golden Calf and heads of Saints. Pulpit probably C17 on later
stone base with wall monument of 1725 above. Painted hatchment with the
Royal Arms of early C19 in N aisle. C18 oak altar-rail. White's
Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK9245814651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings