History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of the Hospitallers of St John the Evangelist and St Anne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oakham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6694 / 52°40'9"N

Longitude: -0.7336 / 0°44'1"W

OS Eastings: 485732

OS Northings: 308719

OS Grid: SK857087

Mapcode National: GBR CRL.MC7

Mapcode Global: WHFKN.P5VD

Entry Name: Chapel of the Hospitallers of St John the Evangelist and St Anne

Listing Date: 8 May 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073262

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186549

Location: Oakham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Oakham

Built-Up Area: Oakham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Oakham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oakham

Listing Text

In the entry for;
SK 8508 OAKHAM WILLIAM DALBY STREET

(former Gas Street)

6/5 Chapel of the Hospitallers of
St John the Evangelist & St Anne

8.5.50 II
The grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)

------------------------------------

WILLIAM DALBY STREET
1.
1469
(Former Gas Street)
Chapel of the Hospitallers
of St John the Evangelist
and St Anne
SK 8508 6/5 8.5.50.
II
2.
Mediaeval chapel to Hospital of St John and St Anne. Plain C15 with C16
alterations. Rectangular coursed rubble building with ashlar dressings.
Ashlar bellcote at West end. Perpendicular 3-light East window with mark
finials to drip-moulds. One small window and one 2-light window with drip-mould
to South. Stone parapet with central finial. Animal marks on waterspouts
to side. Door on North elevation with drip mould.
Built by William Dalby in the reign of Richard II, circa 1380. Refounded
by Archdeacon Robert Johnson under charter from Elizabeth I in 1557.


Listing NGR: SK8573208719

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.