History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Grammer School the Shakespeare Centre

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oakham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6716 / 52°40'17"N

Longitude: -0.7279 / 0°43'40"W

OS Eastings: 486112

OS Northings: 308967

OS Grid: SK861089

Mapcode National: GBR CRL.GSQ

Mapcode Global: WHFKN.S3KQ

Entry Name: Old Grammer School the Shakespeare Centre

Listing Date: 8 May 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073309

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186468

Location: Oakham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Oakham

Built-Up Area: Oakham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Oakham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oakham

Listing Text

CHURCH YARD
1.
1469
Old Grammar School
(now known as "The
Shakespeare Centre")
SK 8608 6/4 8.5.50.
II*
2.
Single storey rectangular building of coursed rubble with stone
quoins and dressings. Stone slate roof with coped gable ends
and moulded stone stacks. 3 large rectangular transomed windows
of 3-lights with stone mullions and moulded stone surrounds and
cills on each side of the building, those on the south having
hood moulds. Above are relieving arches with keystones over
a stone roundel. Brick relieving arches on north side. Door
with moulded stone surround and hood. Inserted above it is a
stone tablet in moulded frame with inscription in Hebrew, Greek
and Latin. 2 modern windows inserted in gable end. Stone capped
plinth. On a band of dressed stone along length of building
is inscribed "Schola Latina Graeca Hebraica AO 1584". Date stone
1584 on west gable and another in south elevation inscribed "Rejecta
AO 1723". Interior has open timber wing post roof of 7 bays.
A new doorway has been recently inserted (Summer 1969) on the
south-east side with a commemorative plaque above.


Listing NGR: SK8611208967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.