This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9282 / 53°55'41"N
Longitude: -2.1643 / 2°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 389305
OS Northings: 448018
OS Grid: SD893480
Mapcode National: GBR FRB0.6L
Mapcode Global: WHB7C.QJKF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Le Gill
Listing Date: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186140
Location: Barnoldswick, Pendle, Lancashire, BB18
Civil Parish: Barnoldswick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
SD 84 NE BARNOLDSWICK GHYLL LANE
3/16 Church of St Mary-le-Gill
Church, probably C15 and early C16 (tower said to be dated 1524), with C13 remains. Random rubble except tower of dressed stone, stone slate roof. Continuous nave and chancel, south aisle and porch, and west tower. Tower is rectangular and simply treated with gargoyle string course and embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses and square stair turret at south east corner. West window with arched head of 3-lights, and belfry openings of 2-lights with louvres, also arched, all with hood-moulds. South aisle has simple gabled porch with cambered head to entrance in first bay, then three double chamfered windows with flat heads and round arched lights. Squat offset buttresses, and a nearly central priest's door, flat headed with single chamfer. The west window of this aisle is of 3 cusped lights. Three windows of the more usual type in the north wall. At the eastern end of this wall is a lancet of C13 type, and the east window has a stepped arrangement of 3 similar, above a short pilaster buttress. Interior: 5-bay arcade on octagonal columns. Fine roof of 9 bays: the western six have tie-beam trusses carried on short wall posts and braces, alternating with braced collars, but all have the collars braced to the ridge and the lower row of purlins has cusped wind bracing. The last 3 bays have arch-braced collars and more elaborate, less structural wind bracing, as has the 8-bay lean-to roof of the aisle. Furnishings include a complete set of box pews, C17 except Nos 37-45 which are C19; a complete early C17 3-decker pulpit which stands against the north wall of the nave, and a simple bowl font. Early C19 painted boards with Lords Prayer, Creeds and Ten Commandments. Churchwarden's pew at west end dated 1836.
Listing NGR: SD8930548018
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings