History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashes Farmhouse with Wall Surrounding Front Garden

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittingham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8321 / 53°49'55"N

Longitude: -2.6177 / 2°37'3"W

OS Eastings: 359446

OS Northings: 437490

OS Grid: SD594374

Mapcode National: GBR BS54.21

Mapcode Global: WH96D.RYP4

Entry Name: Ashes Farmhouse with Wall Surrounding Front Garden

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073517

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185963

Location: Whittingham, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Whittingham

Built-Up Area: Longridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Longridge

Listing Text

SD 53 NE
5/116

WHITTINGHAM
HALFPENNY LANE
Ashes Farmhouse with wall surrounding front garden

11.11.1966

II*

Farmhouse, dated 1683 on lintel, but perhaps earlier greatly enlarged at
that date; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roofs.
H-plan: single-bay centre (with entrance and staircase only), and 2-bay
crosswings. Two and a half storeys, except right wing which is 2 storeys
(probably cut down); continuous dripcourse carried round left wing and
centre; chamfered doorway to left of set-back centre, dripcourse stepped
over it and a datestone above, recessed in a chamfered surround and
lettered in relief C W:A 1683, a 2-light recessed mullion window to the right
and another at 1st floor (stairlight). Gable of left wing has similar
windows of 2 and one light at ground floor, 2 lights on each floor above
(all these 2-light windows offset to left, and that at 1st floor with a
hoodmould) and a gable chimney; return wall of this wing has similar
windows of 5 lights at ground floor, 3 and 5 lights above (these latter
with hoodmoulds). Gable of right wing has similar windows of 5 lights at
ground floor and 3 lights above, both with hoodmoulds, and its right return
wall has windows of 3-lights at ground floor and 2 lights above, also with
hoodmoulds, and a 3-light casement at ground floor of the rear bay; ridge
chimney. Rear has some similar windows. Right wing is both broader and
lower than the rest, the roof of the centre ending in a gable overlooking
the wing. Interior: in the centre a full-height quarter-turn staircase
with landings, square newels, closed string, turned balusters and moulded
handrail (but upper level differs and may be C19). Left wing has at 1st
floor a panelled stone fireplace with fluted keystone; and lateral beams
supported by stone corbels, ovolo-moulded at ground floor and chamfered
above. Right wing has chamfered lateral beams.

Included in the item is the wall continued from the outer corner of each
wing, making a rectangular enclosed garden c.10 metres deep; wall is of
random rubble c.1 metre high with a flat coping and 2 round-topped
gateposts in line with the front door of the house.


Listing NGR: SD5944637490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.