This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8331 / 53°49'59"N
Longitude: -2.6148 / 2°36'53"W
OS Eastings: 359637
OS Northings: 437604
OS Grid: SD596376
Mapcode National: GBR BS53.QN
Mapcode Global: WH96D.TX1B
Entry Name: Dun Cow Rib Farmhouse with Wall Enclosing Garden
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185964
Location: Whittingham, Preston, Lancashire, PR3
Civil Parish: Whittingham
Built-Up Area: Longridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 53 NE WHITTINGHAM HALFPENNY LANE
5/117 Dun Cow Rib Farmhouse
with wall enclosing
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1616 on lintel, altered and extended. Coursed
sandstone rubble with quoins (now ribbon pointed), stone slate roof and
stone gable copings with kneelers bearing finials. Two-bay
end-baffle-entry plan (with former stable added at left end, which has been
altered and is of less interest). Two storeys; doorway at right hand end
has chamfered Tudor-arched surround, lintel lettered in relief "1616 AH"
(probably = Adam Hoghton), and hollow-moulded hoodmould on top of which
is fixed a large old bone; double-chamfered mullioned windows with
diamond lattice glazing on both floors, the hoodmoulds of those in the
centre run out left over a single light (like a firewindow): 5 and 6 lights
at ground floor, 3, 4 and 2 lights above. Chimneys at right gable and at
former gable (now junction) to left. Right gable wall has at 1st floor a
double-chamfered firewindow with a hoodmould, and towards the rear a
jettied garderobe with loop-lights and monopitched roof, now supported from
ground level by stone piers. Former stable at left end was formerly a
lean-to, but has been raised to form a 2-storey continuation of the house.
Rear altered, with substantial modern extensions in similar style and
materials. Interior: altered, contains C18 stone fireplace with corbelled
jambs, believed to be ex situ: History: probably built by Adam Hoghton:
reference Fishwick Goosnargh pp 192-3. Associated with ancient local
legend of ghostly giant cow, to whom the bone over the door was believed to
belong. Garden wall to front, of random rubble, the front wall with ramped
coping and curved inwards to gateway in line with door of house.
Listing NGR: SD5963737604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings