History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slaters Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittingham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8199 / 53°49'11"N

Longitude: -2.6969 / 2°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 354218

OS Northings: 436184

OS Grid: SD542361

Mapcode National: GBR 9SL8.XD

Mapcode Global: WH85F.J7ZX

Entry Name: Slaters Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073520

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185968

Location: Whittingham, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Whittingham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Goosnargh

Listing Text

SD 53 NW
4/121

WHITTINGHAM
WHITTINGHAM LANE
Slaters Farmhouse

11.11.1966

GV II


Farmhouse, dated 1683 on porch but probably earlier, altered. Roughcast
brick painted white, slate roof. Three-bay baffle-entry plan with porch in
line with ridge chimney at junction of 1st and 2nd bays, rear outshut to
3rd and part of 2nd bays, incorporating staircase. Two storeys;
single-storey gabled porch has open entrance under wooden lintel, datestone
above lettered in relief S T:A 1683, peephole in left side wall, wooden side
benches, inner doorway with chamfered stone surround, and above the lintel
a brick label with double-returned ends and 2 inverted L-shaped extensions
rising from the centre to a feature which may have been a panel for a
former datestone (now broken by the porch roof). To left, 1st bay rebuilt
as garage and store; to right, 2 vertical rectangular windows on each
floor; coupled chimneys at right gable. Rear: inter alia, outshut has
4-light brick mullioned window at ground floor, and similar 2-light
stairlight with a label. Interior: housepart and 2 service rooms have
chamfered beams, that in the housepart scarf-jointed; at 1st floor,
timber-framed partition walls, one large cambered beam with cyma stops (3rd
bay), and in 2nd bay a continuous lateral partition which may have been a
smoke bay.


Listing NGR: SD5421836184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.