History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stone House

A Grade II Listed Building in Broughton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8128 / 53°48'46"N

Longitude: -2.7133 / 2°42'47"W

OS Eastings: 353132

OS Northings: 435402

OS Grid: SD531354

Mapcode National: GBR 9SHB.CY

Mapcode Global: WH85F.9F6D

Entry Name: The Stone House

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185873

Location: Broughton, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Broughton

Built-Up Area: Broughton (Preston)

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St John The Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Barton

Listing Text

SD 53 NW BROUGHTON WHITTINGHAM LANE

4/26 The Stone House

II

House, 1911, by R. Mangnall Bluhm, for A.T.R. Houghton. Snecked sandstone,
stone slate roof. Roughly L-plan: 3-bay range facing south, with long
receding east wing embracing a shorter rear extension. Two storeys in C17
vernacular style (said to be imitating Old Rectory of Wooton-by-Woodford,
Gloucestershire), with steeply-pitched roof, gables and gablets, mullioned
windows (some also transomed). Garden front has set-back centre bridged at
1st floor by timber framing with a central gableted oriel and a balcony to the
right of this (former loggia beneath now altered), flanked by gabled bays with
transomed windows at ground floor, mullioned above, and loop lights in the
gables; right return wall has inter alia a 6-light transomed stairlight, and a
canted bay window. At the rear the extension incorporating the porch has a
doorway with architrave and cornice; the roof of the service wing terminates
in a bell gable, and a pitched roof at lower level links the gable wall with
various outbuildings, including a stable with loft approached by external
steps. Interior: the principal feature of interest is the staircase, which
was taken from the Castle Inn in Preston (demolished c.1910): this is
dog-legged, has closed string, panelled newel posts, turned barley sugar
balusters, broad moulded handrail, and probably dates from c.1700.


Listing NGR: SD5313235402

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.