History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whinneyclough Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8475 / 53°50'51"N

Longitude: -2.6566 / 2°39'23"W

OS Eastings: 356897

OS Northings: 439232

OS Grid: SD568392

Mapcode National: GBR 9RWY.NH

Mapcode Global: WH96D.5K68

Entry Name: Whinneyclough Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185914

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Inglewhite

Listing Text

SD 53 NE GOOSNARGH INGLEWHITE ROAD (off)

5/67 Whinneyclough Farmhouse
11.11.1966
GV II

Farmhouse dated 1706 over door, with rear addition dated 1757 internally,
altered. Coursed sandstone rubble mostly roughcast, with quoins, slate roof
with gable chimney to left (and formerly to right also). L-shaped plan
formed by 2 builds: 3-bay front range of 1706, with stepped 2-bay rear wing to
the right (1757). Two storeys, almost symmetrical; plinth, exposed masonry at
ground floor ending at continuous dripcourse which steps over door, doorway
with moulded surround, and rising from the dripcourse over the door a square
panel carved with a shield and helm (arms of Cawthorne family) surrounded by
foliated decoration and dated in the bottom corners "17" "06"; two 4-light
chamfered mullion windows at ground floor and a 2-light firewindow to the
left, 3 similar 3-light windows at 1st floor; each gable wall has a 2-light
window at ground floor and a square attic window. The added rear wing of
coursed rubble with quoins has a doorway to the 1st bay, enlarged window at
ground floor and square window above, a set-back 2nd bay with lean-to
additions in the angle and to the rear. Interior: front range now has central
passage between housepart on left and service rooms on right, but passage
partition is an insertion; partition between service rooms removed, door to
former dairy blocked but detectable; back kitchen of rear wing incorporates
stone lintel of former door with panel inscribed: E (= George Eccles)
G I
1757
History: Whinneyclough, owned by Hoghton family of Hoghton Tower in C16 and
early C17; bought 1657 by John Bamber of Poulton-le-Fylde, merchant; sold in
1681 to William Cawthorne of St. Barthdomew the Less, London; and in 1754 to
Henry Eccles of Clifton, yeoman.


Listing NGR: SD5689739232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.