History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitworth, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6702 / 53°40'12"N

Longitude: -2.1699 / 2°10'11"W

OS Eastings: 388874

OS Northings: 419313

OS Grid: SD888193

Mapcode National: GBR FV90.02

Mapcode Global: WHB8Q.M0YP

Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073548

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185828

Location: Whitworth, Rossendale, Lancashire, OL12

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Civil Parish: Whitworth

Built-Up Area: Whitworth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Facit St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Listing Text

SD 81 NE WHITWORTH (off) MARKET STREET
Facit

11/249 Church of St. John Evangelist
-
- II


Church, 1871, by Medland and Henry Taylor. Rock-faced sandstone, slate
roof with bands of pink slates. Nave, south-west tower, chancel with side
offices; in High Victorian Gothic. Four-stage tower with angle-buttresses
has north-west cylindrical stair turret with conical top at 3rd stage,
triple-chamfered arched doorway on south side, lancets at 2nd and 3rd
stages; weathering to set-back panelled belfry which has 2 deeply-chamfered
louvres on each side; high embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. West
front has gabled and pinnacled surround to 2 arched doorways within a
single arch, on each side a plate tracery rose with relieving arch; a
lettered frieze; and large tripartite west window with plate tracery.
Buttressed 4-bay nave has two gableted 2-light windows and 2 lancets.
Organ house has 2 quatrefoils, chancel has lancet and large 5-light plate-
traceried east window. Interior: arch-braced hammerbeam king-post roof
with curved struts across the great span of the nave; carved wood reredos
and panelling in chancel; otherwise, very simple.


Listing NGR: SD8887419313

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.