History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Briars

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitworth, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6553 / 53°39'18"N

Longitude: -2.1732 / 2°10'23"W

OS Eastings: 388650

OS Northings: 417655

OS Grid: SD886176

Mapcode National: GBR FV85.9F

Mapcode Global: WHB8Q.LDC4

Entry Name: The Briars

Listing Date: 29 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185842

Location: Whitworth, Rossendale, Lancashire, OL12

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Civil Parish: Whitworth

Built-Up Area: Whitworth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whitworth St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/01/2012


SD 81 NE
29.7.1966
11/263


WHITWORTH
WHITWORTH SQUARE
The Briars


(Formerly listed as No. 3 Whitworth Square)

GV
II


House, dated 1763 by deeds, with rear addition of. early C19. Watershot coursed
sandstone with quoins, slate roof with chimney on ridge and at right gable, and
3 skylights. Two-bay plan, originally single depth but extended to rear to house
later staircase. Basement and 2½ storeys; front to square symmetrical, original
central door up steps to raised ground floor anciently blocked, 2 tall windows on
each floor, all with prominent plain surrounds and now with shutters and top-hung
casements; left corner chamfered at ground floor; both return walls have one window
on each floor like those at the front, and an oval attic light, right return has
basement door and window in addition, and rear extension has tall sashed stairlight
with glazing bars. Interior altered but contains some doors with 6 fielded panels.
History: said to have been built as lodging for visitors seeking treatment from
John Taylor, the "Whitworth doctor" of Whitworth House (q.v.


Listing NGR: SD8865017655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.