History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moon's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodplumpton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8195 / 53°49'10"N

Longitude: -2.7554 / 2°45'19"W

OS Eastings: 350364

OS Northings: 436176

OS Grid: SD503361

Mapcode National: GBR 9S68.8K

Mapcode Global: WH85D.N837

Entry Name: Moon's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185857

Location: Woodplumpton, Preston, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Woodplumpton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Barton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Barton

Listing Text

SD 53 NW
4/10

BARTON
HOLLOWFORTH LANE
Moon's Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, dated 1698 internally. Handmade brick covered unevenly with
roughcast and painted white, steeply-pitched roof of corrugated sheet
(probably over thatch) with boarded eaves, a chimney on the ridge at the
junction of the 2nd and 3rd bays, another in front of the ridge at the left
gable. Three-bay baffle-entry plan with partial outshut to rear of 1st bay.
Two storeys, walls at 1st floor slightly set back (perhaps raised at an early
date); at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays a single-storey gabled porch with
segmental-headed opening in front and small rectangular peepholes in the
sides, a 6-panelled inner door; 3 sliding sash windows on each floor, those at
ground floor all of 3 lights with remains of labels over them, those above all
of 2 lights. Both gable and rear walls have similar old labels, mostly over
blocked windows: left has one at ground floor and 2 above (one a 2-light
sliding sash), right has one on each floor (the upper longer); rear of outshut
to 1st bay has labels to pantry window, blocked stairlight and blocked little
window below this, rear of housepart has a long stepped label broken in the
centre by an inserted sliding sash, and at 1st floor a small window in one
light of what appears to have been a 6-light mullioned window; 3rd bay has
back door and a fixed window. Interior: housepart has inglenook bressummer
and 2 beams with tongue-stopped ovolo moulding, a carved wooden spicecupboard
lettered I T 1698; parlour has one similar beam; pantry has a chamfered beam and
wooden 1/4-turn staircase. (Third bay altered). First floor open to the
rafters. Reference R.C. Watson and M.E. McClintock Traditional Houses of the
Fylde (1979) pp.68-70]


Listing NGR: SD5036436176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.