This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5977 / 52°35'51"N
Longitude: -1.0806 / 1°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 462370
OS Northings: 300384
OS Grid: SK623003
Mapcode National: GBR FVZ.9P
Mapcode Global: WHFKP.CYNX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187555
Location: Oadby and Wigston, Leicestershire, LE2
District: Oadby and Wigston
Town: Oadby and Wigston
District Council Ward: Oadby St Peter's
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Oadby St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP60 SW LONDON ROAD (south Side)
2/9 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Largely C14, but extensively restored in 1887. Limestone,
coursed and squared, with some ironstone rubble in south aisle. West tower
and spire, nave with clerestory and two aisles, chancel. Tower is partially
clasped by aisles. Three stages with clasping buttresses. Fragmentary carved
panels in second stage, paired foiled bell chamber lights above. Frieze and a
brooch spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Embattled parapet to south aisle
which is of 1887. Window tracery uses a Decorated and reticulated style.
Half timbered porch of 1908 containing a doorway apparently C14 so re-sited,
with continuous moulding. Three light windows in embattled clerestory above.
Chancel much renewed with Perpendicular and Decorated style south windows and
a four light Perpendicular style east window. North aisle largely renewed,
clasps the chancel slightly. It retains a C14 east window, four lights of
reticulated tracery and a hood mould with ball flower decoration and corbel
heads. Windows all in Decorated style, as is the north doorway, in a coped
gabled stone porch. Inside, restoration was in the "scrape" tradition. Tower
partially clasped by aisles with early C14 arch from nave: semi-octagonal
responds and capitals. Former roof line visible above it. C15 arcades of f
four bays with slender clustered shafts and complex moulded arches. Outer
hood moulds with corbel heads. Three light foiled windows to clerestory.
Perpendicular roof with shallow cambered tie beams with very short stumpy king
posts carved as heads. Wide double chamfered chancel arch, the outer chamfer
continuing to form a separate respond. Sedilia and piscina in the south
aisle, with octagonal shafts supporting round cinquefoiled arches. Chancel
roof possibly of the C15, cambered tie beams and king posts with fine tracery
filling in the triangulation. Sedilia and piscina are either Victorian or
else heavily restored, but similar in style to those of the south aisle.
Ornate Victorian reredos with linen fold panelling, wrought decoration and
angels. Victorian wood pulpit with sounding board suspended above. Font t
probably C14, round basin with deeply moulded rim is supported on a base with
trefoiled panels. Various C18 wall memorials in chancel and south aisle.
Stained glass: in the south aisle east window of 1887, florid figures of
love, truth, mercy and fortitude. South east. window of 1910, Christ with
angels and seraphim, etc., and south west window of 1928 "suffer the little
children" are both highly decorated and coloured, probably from the same
studio. Glass in chancel east window is undated but of late C19 and very
fine: faith, charity, love and hope are personified in the main panels with
angels above and illustrative scenes below with appropriate text. The style
is of the Renaissance, fluid design and a predominantly white architectural
Listing NGR: SK6237000384
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings