This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.692 / 52°41'31"N
Longitude: -0.7532 / 0°45'11"W
OS Eastings: 484367
OS Northings: 311205
OS Grid: SK843112
Mapcode National: GBR CRC.8D6
Mapcode Global: WHFKG.DLLM
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187447
Location: Langham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Langham
Built-Up Area: Langham (Rutland)
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Langham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 8411 - 8511 LANGHAM CHURCH STREET
2/155 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Large medieval parish church, principally of late C13 - mid C14, with some
C15 alterations and conservative restorationsby Ewan Christian and Bodley
and Garner in 1876-8 and 1880. Mostly ashlar faced. West tower and
spire, nave with aisles and clerestory, S. transept (N. transept demolished
in 1802) and transept aisle, chancel. Large and imposing late C13 W.
tower of 3 stages, with a large 2-light window to the bell-chamber, with
banded shafts and chevron decoration. Broach spire with 3 tiers of
lucarnes, the lowest ornately traceried. S. side of church largely
mid C14 in an early perpendicular style, with embattled parapets throughout,
and much fine carved detail. Buttressed S. aisle, each buttress capped
by a pinnacle, and a frieze of ball flower and other emblems: human
heads, beasts etc. Perpendicular style traceried windows. Frieze and
parapet continue to the S. porch of the same date, with triple-chamfered
archway and a 2-light window with ball flower hoodmoulds, and cross on
the gable above. Ironwork over doorway dated 1734. Inside the porch,
the main door is a double chamfered arch with niche above, and across
the angle above the door, a stone platform, relic of a former parvise.
South side of porch continues as transept aisle and transept where the
E. side wall is ironstone with freestone courses. Transept aisle has
decorated window with ball flower decoration. The S. window of the
transept is perpendicular and very large, and the corner pinnacles here
proportionately loftier. The frieze over the transept contains figures,
beasts, faces, flowers etc., and there is a large and battered gargoyle
on the E. wall. Perpendicular clerestory with 2 windows in E. wall of
nave, and carved frieze. Chancel is ironstone with ashlar courses and
parapet, apparently partially rebuilt, perhaps in later C14 when E. window
Spacious and light interior, which continues the traditions of fine carving.
Triple chamfered tower arch with nail head decoration to responds. Nave
of 4 bays with early C14 arcade, triple chamfered, on octagonal piers.
Perpendicular clerestory and roof - cambered trusses on long supports,
with pierced spandrels. S. transept and its aisle also early C14, with
a good series of carved corbel heads, and C15 cambered trussed roof, and
in the S. wall, a trefoiled recess for an altar reredos. N. transept
arch survives. Chancel windows mainly perpendicular, but 2 are lancets.
E. window has stained glass by J.N. Comper, who also did the glass in
S. transept window (1908). Incised slab in transept: 2 praying figures
and their children below, John Dickenson and his wife, 1532. Font,
plain octagonal bowl on a low base, square with engaged shafts, C14.
Listing NGR: SK8436711205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings